Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Hello America ... Fancy a Shag?

It seems that kudos can be delivered to Eddy Izzard, transvestite préféré de l'action de ma famille; as well as the magnificant Minnie Driver (always underated) in the new FX series "The Riches". It's premier last night was more than I expected it to be, and somewhat less of a polished American TV Comedy that the FX network droogies bally-hooed.

Which is a good thing.

You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?

Basically, it was appropriately rough in its first outing, taking pains to make the misery of a travellers life quite clear, while allowing us to still admire our wayward gang's determination to remain outside the mainstream of the "Buffers".


I believe that this is the "Americanized" version of the original show broadcast in the UK, which must have focused on British "travellers" (not Tinkers?"). What is very interesting about this new 'translation' is that the subject matter doesn't need re translation. Anywhere you go in the urban sectors of America, people at least understand the concept (if not slur) 'gypsy'. And out in the hinterlands of America, most rural folks have met (or know someone who has been fleeced) by 'a traveller'.


Here's the only site I found so far that reflects the American "travellers" lifestyle. And if I may bore you sillier still, there is an excellent academic site for referencing American Travellers: http://www.gypsyloresociety.org/interact.html. There seem to be at least 10 different ethnic tribes of travellers in the USA, and most of them came here around 1880.


If you have ever met or known any of the folks, and still have most of your possessions and livestock, then you are particularly blessed. My first occasion to know a Romani family was in the early 1960's, when a big family moved in next door to my Grandmother's house.


Since my family never spoke ill of them, and I was just a wee tyke myself, I was pleased to meet new kids to play with, especially a family of kids who all had pierced ears and earrings. The filial relationships were quite complex. For instance, the little girl about my age was the Auntie to 3 grown men. AND she ordered them around. It wasn't any charming game they played; it was deadly serious. She yelled, they jumped. Several times she ordered them to take us to the corner store and buy us ice cream. They were very kind to me, but I had the feeling something was up with these folks. After one of the ice cream excursions, my Grandmother pulled me into the house and told me I "... shouldn't accept gifts from them. It means you owe them something."


Something in her manner told me that, as one of the members of our family that still had two languages, she might know a thing or two about these folks. I was more cautious after that, but cleverly remained friendly. Anyway, they seemed to have no shortage of money; they put in a great big pool that summer, and everybody knows you throw caution aside for a free swim!


Back to the subject, I think I will enjoy Eddie's new project. I think it might even catch a nerve in the American Psyche. Soon there will be all sort's of traveller's slang used at the water coolers of America! Just in time, too; since they plan to kill off all the Sopranos this year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eddie Izzard rocks, has always rocked, and will always. I missed the "premiere" due to Devil Wears Prada commitments. Minnie Driver...not to be confused with Mini-Me. Yea?
Lx

Bwana said...

The most shaggable junky Mom I have ever seen on television.

slyboots2 said...

I really enjoyed it last night. I loves me some Eddie. And thought that having a cross-dressing son was quite appropriate. It was darker than I had expected, which was also a delightful surprise. We went ahead and set up the Tivo for Season Pass. Because that's how we roll.

Bwana said...

It was inferred that the cross dressing child was a part of the plot line before Eddie Izzard became involved.

(S)wine said...

i missed it again due to time set aside for writing. i guess one day i should start thinking about TiVo or DVR for shows such as these. Tell me, one of you...when does this programme come on, and on which channel? thank you.