Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I don't gots alot to say and whatnot ...

I suppose that when you fall out of the habit of doing something every day, it becomes increasingly difficult to return to your former repertoire. I looked up the word "habit" in Websters On-Line Dictionary, and here's are some definitions of usage that might apply:

5 : the prevailing disposition or character of a person's thoughts and feelings : mental makeup

6 : a settled tendency or usual manner of behavior

7 a : a behavior pattern acquired by frequent repetition or physiologic exposure that shows itself in regularity or increased facility of performance
b : an acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary
c : ADDICTION

Following that were some nifty synonyms:

HABIT, PRACTICE, USAGE, CUSTOM, WONT .

So, when I say that I have fallen out of the HABIT of blogging, it implies I do this unconsciously ... which is wrong, since I am usually conscious when on the Bloggosphere.

OR, if I where to say I fell out of the PRACTICE of blogging, it infers I do it often and by choice. There ARE some things I do often by choice. But blogging apparently is not one of them.

To steal directly from M_W, USAGE ... "suggests a customary action so generally followed that it has become a social norm . " Whilst blogging has become a norm in some neighborhoods in the Bahston Beanpot, and the Bahston Globule apparently has declared Bahston to be one of the top blogging cities in the USA, that statement was slightly qualified by their original source The Bostonist, in that sports blogging is the main rage in Ye Olde Bahston Towne.

I do not think it is my CUSTOM to blog, in that it (M_W)" ... applies to a practice or usage so steadily associated with an individual or group as to have almost the force of unwritten law . " Ain't no-body gonna tell me I have to blog. No forking way.

Which leaves us with ... (M-W) "WONT ... usually applies to an habitual manner, method, or practice of an individual or group . "

It is my wont to get up before 5:30AM. But I would like to sleep later.

SO, since none of the above apply, it would seem that my original premise for not blogging lately is the correct one:

I am a lazy shit.

Except for stealing from other sources. Then I am very ENTERPRISING.

3 comments:

(S)wine said...

this, too, applies to bwana jr. yea?

Bwana said...

I think so. He's awful busy casting his next film project.

slyboots2 said...

You are enterprising like a fox, man!

Glad to hear your voice again- been lurking out there waiting.